Monday, January 16, 2012

Martin Luther King, Jr.

I, Too, Sing America
Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong. 


Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--
I, too, am America.

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is another holiday that might be better spent in school. Like Veterans' Day, if children have the day off, they might miss the chance to learn about what this day means to all Americans. I say "might" because I hope that families take the time to talk about courage and dignity and what it means to be truly free. I know that there are many observances, speeches, vigils, and the like, but we all need to spend at least a few moments thinking about how one man's bravery and dedication to truth brought about such huge change. Not saying that it's perfect - not even close -  but when I was born, in 1959, Langston Hughes was still being sent to the kitchen. Has the "tomorrow" in his poem arrived?

Speaking of courage, here's some one I know who is the embodiment of the word.
Look at the spirit in her eyes!
 No more today - it's a bit silly and vain to discuss spinning and knitting, I think.

1 comment:

  1. Penny, you're making me cry! Thank you so much! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you're enjoying my ramblings!