Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pinning Ceremony

Canopy Sock #1

I Am Offering this Poem

By Jimmy Santiago Baca
I am offering this poem to you,
since I have nothing else to give.
Keep it like a warm coat
when winter comes to cover you,
or like a pair of thick socks
the cold cannot bite through,

                         I love you,
I have nothing else to give you,
so it is a pot full of yellow corn
to warm your belly in winter,
it is a scarf for your head, to wear
over your hair, to tie up around your face,

                         I love you,

Keep it, treasure this as you would
if you were lost, needing direction,
in the wilderness life becomes when mature;
and in the corner of your drawer,
tucked away like a cabin or hogan
in dense trees, come knocking,
and I will answer, give you directions,
and let you warm yourself by this fire,
rest by this fire, and make you feel safe

                         I love you,

It’s all I have to give,
and all anyone needs to live,
and to go on living inside,
when the world outside
no longer cares if you live or die;
remember,

                         I love you.
It's not snowing, so we will all see Abe "get pinned" at today's ceremony. He is the speaker - says his speech is about 8 minutes long. We are very very happy for him. 
Going to a comedy show at Infinity tonight, with dinner at the Bistro before. We need to laugh - in late January, EVERYONE in the northern hemisphere could use a laugh.
Canopy Sock #1 is off the needles; Sock #2 is still just yarn, but not for long! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you're enjoying my ramblings!