Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday is a good day for a Birthday

A Birthday

By Christina Rossetti
 
My heart is like a singing bird
                  Whose nest is in a water'd shoot;
My heart is like an apple-tree
                  Whose boughs are bent with thickset fruit;
My heart is like a rainbow shell
                  That paddles in a halcyon sea;
My heart is gladder than all these
                  Because my love is come to me.

Raise me a dais of silk and down;
                  Hang it with vair and purple dyes;
Carve it in doves and pomegranates,
                  And peacocks with a hundred eyes;
Work it in gold and silver grapes,
                  In leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys;
Because the birthday of my life
                  Is come, my love is come to me. 
 
Zig is 54 years old today! The day started off in a questionable fashion - one of his windshield wipers broke off as he was chipping ice off his car this morning, so he had to go to the Toyota place to get a replacement, which made him late for work. I'm writing this at about 6:00 pm, and he's on his way home now, for a quiet evening with Abe and me. We have a few presents and cards for him to open, and a delicious, healthy dinner planned. We're not going out, because we're having a small party here tomorrow evening to celebrate Abe's PTA pinning ceremony. I guess that, once you're in your fifties, the prospect of TWO busy weekend nights is just too daunting.
 
Spinning: Still plugging away on the second of three bobbins. I'd say the finished yarn will end up as a light worsted - we'll see.
Knitting: It's pretty funny to think back to the beginning of 2012 (all of 19 days ago) and realize that I actually had hopes of knitting a pair of socks EACH WEEK. I'm still working on the leg of Nightfall Sock #2. I hope to finish it this weekend. Then I can claim that I'm knitting 4 socks in 3 weeks. Not too shabby.
Exercise: Free weights and cycling - total of an hour. I took yesterday off.
Food/Water: Okay. Not enough water. I take a large stainless steel jug with me every day, and try to drink two large cups of tea while at work, but it didn't happen - not even one! - today. I did drink about half the jug - maybe 3 cups?
Friday Weigh-In: Lost 1.4 pounds this week. Woot! Slow and steady. A group of us are going to follow Weight Watchers at work (WWW!). We all put $5 into a pool, and our school nurse will weigh us each Monday (numbers are strictly confidential). At the end of each week (maybe longer; I'm unsure), the biggest loser will win the cash - or we might have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prize depending on the number of entrants. 
 
Snow tomorrow - we hope that Abe's ceremony isn't postponed, but we'll have the party regardless.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you're enjoying my ramblings!