Sunday, February 19, 2012

Making a Dent

Otherwise

Jane Kenyon

I got out of bed
on two strong legs.
It might have been
otherwise. I ate
cereal, sweet
milk, ripe, flawless
peach. It might
have been otherwise.
I took the dog uphill
to the birch wood.
All morning I did
the work I love.

At noon I lay down
with my mate. It might
have been otherwise.
We ate dinner together
at a table with silver
candlesticks. It might
have been otherwise.
I slept in a bed
in a room with paintings
on the walls, and
planned another day
just like this day.
But one day, I know,
it will be otherwise.

It's good to be reminded, every so often, of how fortunate I am to be able to live the life I do. I find it all too easy to focus on the things that are wrong/bad/imperfect/wanting and completely lose sight of the amazing fact that I am alive, mobile, and in control of my faculties.

This past summer I found a small (1-inch high) carved stone Buddha (a skinny one, not one of those jolly, fat, laughing guys) in a shop in Damariscotta. Zig, who was with me, purchased it for me. Most days, I keep it in my pocket (if I have pockets). It's really tiny, and easy to forget that it's there. But its presence can draw me back from worry, anger, and impatience to the simple fact that I am living my life NOW and that there will never be a better time than NOW to be grateful for that.

All is well. All is well. All is well.

Pointelle - check!

Vanilla Socks - yes, they're boring, but they still do a sock's job.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you're enjoying my ramblings!