Saturday, June 9, 2012

Start-itis

I'm not sure what it is that, every once in awhile, causes me to cast on multiple projects within minutes of each other, but that "it" hit hard on Wednesday. I cast on, in no particular order, the following projects:
  1. Elm Socks, designed by Cookie A., found in Clara Parkes' The Knitter's Book of Socks;
  2. Pimpelliese Shawlette, designed by Christine Ebers, a free Ravelry download;
  3. Ilene String Bag, designed by Hannah Ingalls, a free Ravelry download;
I must confess that I already had one project on the needles - the DeGraw Tank, which will be lovely when finished but is currently mind-numbingly boring to knit. So that's four (4) projects in simultaneously alive and humming along.  So far, I've been pretty fair about switching between projects, but the string bag is the furthest along, because I can knit on that anywhere/anytime, without having to refer much to the pattern. I'm too short for time to go photograph the projects, but I will post pics soon.

Good news in the bear department - have not seen a bear since Thursday, June 7th. Yes, it's only June 9th, but for us that a significant length of time. We suspect that there may be as many as FIVE bears in the immediate neighborhood - 3 juveniles (2 tagged, one untagged), an adult female, and an adult male. Knock on wood, they've not gotten into our trash, nor do they seem particularly interested in it. The grill and the birdfeeder are the main attractions.

Speaking of birdfeeders, we are awestruck at the amount of activity there. We have male and female goldfinches, rose-breasted grosbeaks, nuthatches, house finches, chickadees, juncos, bluejays, and even a very messy and rude red-headed woodpecker coming to the feeder constantly, from dawn to dusk. I've had to fill the feeder (and this is a 6-quart cylinder) twice this week, and will need to again today. The ground underneath is busy with squirrels, chipmunks, and mourning doves, panning for gold through the empty sunflower seed shells. The feeder is suspended on a wire cable between two trees, too high above the ground for bears to paw at or squirrels to jump for.

This coming Thursday, June 14th, is the last day for students at school, with 8th grade graduation happening that evening. I was asked to speak to the class - an honor that I don't deserve. Now I am off to write a speech that will be worthy of the recognition. I must sequester myself whilst I search for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you're enjoying my ramblings!